Cooper Township was formed in 1850 from Mahoning Township. Its southern boundary is the river and on the east is the Montour/Columbia County line. The village of Grovania was named for the Grove Brothers, owners of early iron mills in Danville. Just north of Grovania were a number of limestone kilns. There were at one time two railroads passing from east to west through the township. The area known as Ridgeville was situated on the old stage road. Some of the early settlers were the Krums, the Fousts and the Cromleys.